New Semester Checklist for Online Courses
- Create a JIRA ticket to have your courses uploaded to D2L if you want to work in your class early or if you need multiple sections of a course combined into a single section. Course sections cannot be combined after the semester start date.
- Copy course content from a previous or existing course. See Copy Course Materials Instructions and Exporting and Imporing a Course in Brightspace.
- Update or add items in the following areas as necessary. Update due dates and availability if you copied course materials from a previous semester.
- Customize your course homepage with existing or custom widgets, such as the Instructor Bio widget. See Adding a Custom Widget to Your Course.
- Set up or update the grade book. See the Gradebook topic under D2L Brightspace Resources.
- Verify the course start and end dates are correct. See Changing Start and End Dates.
- Post a welcome announcement and getting started message on your course homepage. See Create an Announcement. Include information about publisher content and student support.
- Send a welcome email with information about the course syllabus, required materials, technical requirements, and the date the course will become available in D2L. See email Learners.
- Questions or need some assistance? Schedule a consultation with CTL staff and check out our Course Design page!
You’ll find these and many other helpful tutorials on the Faculty Resources site, under eLearning – D2L Brightspace Resources.